How can I test/debug HDMI CEC?

Question & Answer
mecki

How can I test/debug HDMI CEC?

Post by mecki » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm

I wonder if there is a way to debug HDMI-CEC.

I have a Samsung LE37A557 TV which supports CEC (they call it "Anynet+"). CEC is activated on the receiver, but the TV still doesn't turn off, when I click the power button on the RC. I assume, this is the way it should work, right?

There are also menu options for HDMI-CEC on the TV. For example I can scan for devices there and it shows a "U5ATV", so the TV seems to recognize the receiver.

Is there anything else I can try to make it work?

xbmc
Site Admin

Re: How can I test/debug HDMI CEC?

Post by xbmc » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:13 pm

mecki wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm
I wonder if there is a way to debug HDMI-CEC.

I have a Samsung LE37A557 TV which supports CEC (they call it "Anynet+"). CEC is activated on the receiver, but the TV still doesn't turn off, when I click the power button on the RC. I assume, this is the way it should work, right?

There are also menu options for HDMI-CEC on the TV. For example I can scan for devices there and it shows a "U5ATV", so the TV seems to recognize the receiver.

Is there anything else I can try to make it work?
Did you upgrade SW via OTA?? our factory SW had CEC issue. but final SW should be fine..
There is no way to debug HDMI-CEC by users. So let us check which SW you had. we had Samsung 52 inch 4K TV. and tested CEC features.
So it should be fine..

mecki

Post by mecki » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:40 pm

Yes, I have the latest software. But still the TV does not turn on/off. I've also tried with different "off modes": Standby and Power Save. But still no difference.

If there's maybe a way to debug under Linux, please let me know. I'm very familiar with Linux systems.

mecki

Post by mecki » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:37 pm

I've tried myself now and found the libCEC and cec-utils under Linux. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to find the HDMI interface:

Code: Select all

# apt update
# apt install cec-utils
# cec-client -l
Found devices: NONE
So it seems the HDMI interface is not supported by this library. Can you maybe give some information which adapter is used in the device? I still don't want to give up my hope that there is some way to access the interface from Linux ;)

Return to “User's Q&A”